Thursday, November 21, 2013

Top 50 Writing Quotes

I put together a list of 50 quotes on writing and posted them on the How to Publish Books blog.  People -- other writers, especially -- seem to love the list. Here's an excerpt....

As a writer, I've always been interested in quotes about writing. They help to remind me that I'm not alone in writing. The writing journey is, for the most part, a solitary trek, so many of these quotes have really offered me comfort and some laughs throughout the years. I've even shared some of these quotes with my authors at MindStir Media book publishers. Here are the top 50 quotes on writing (in my opinion). While they are technically in "no particular order," I believe they all belong somewhere on this list. Enjoy!
  1. “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typwriter and bleed.” –Ernest Hemingway
  2. “A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.” –Maya Angelou
  3. “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” –Madeleine L’Engle
  4. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” –Stephen King
  5. “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” –Stephen King
  6. “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” –Toni Morrison
  7. “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It’s a way of understanding it.” –Lloyd Alexander
  8. “No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” –Robert Frost
  9. “If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn’t brood. I’d type a little faster.” –Isaac Asimov
  10. “Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it’s always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.” –Neil Gaiman
self publishing company

No comments:

Post a Comment